CND: Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
CND was launched in 1958. It has been active for long time in the UK.
SOAS used to have CND society but not in the recent year.
In 2014, SOAS CND Society was re-launched, and has had weekly public events in order to raise awareness among the public. In 2015, we have a variety of more events. If you are interested in, please feel free to join one of our events. And if you like it, you can join us!
CND campaigns non-violently to rid the world of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction and to create genuine security for future generations.
CND opposes all nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction: their development, manufacture, testing, deployment and use or threatened use by any country.
OUR EXTERNAL STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES ARE...
* Elimination of British nuclear weapons and global abolition of nuclear weapons
* Cancellation of Trident by the British government. And policy not to replace or enhance Trident nor develop, purchase or deploy other nuclear weapons or allow the deployment of any foreign nuclear weapons on British soil or in British waters.
* An all encompassing Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty is agreed.
* Implementation of an arms conversion policy by the British government
* Immediate negotiations leading swiftly to the rapid, timetabled abolition of nuclear forces worldwide and the conclusion of a Nuclear Weapons Convention
* Prevention and cessation of wars in which the nuclear weapons of Britain or other countries might be used
* Abolition of other threats of mass destruction or indiscriminate effect
* Full international compliance with agreed Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC)
* A strengthened Biological Weapons Convention (BWC) agreed
* Global abandonment of space weapons and missile defence programmes. An international agreement on the Prevention of an Arms Race in Outer Space
* Implementation of a ban on the manufacture, testing and use of Depleted Uranium weapons
* Nuclear-free, less militarised and more secure Europe
* Extension of the influence, resources and funding of the Organisation for Security and Co- Operation on Europe (OSCE)
* No military nuclearisation of the European Union
* Withdrawal of all US military bases and nuclear weapons from Europe and no nuclear or other expansion of NATO
* Formal Nuclear Weapon-Free Zones in Europe established.
* Britain withdrawn from NATO and all foreign military bases on British soil closed.
* The closure of the nuclear power industry
* Prevention of new build nuclear power stations and replacement of nuclear by universally acceptable sustainable energy technologies
* Establishment of safe policies on nuclear waste storage and on re- use of contaminated land transport of plutonium and depleted uranium
* Independent control and verification of plutonium, uranium and depleted uranium stocks.
WE AIM TO...
* Change Government policies to bring about the elimination of British nuclear weapons as a major contribution to global abolition.
* Stimulate wide public debate on the need for alternatives both to the nuclear cycle and to military attempts to resolve conflict.
* Empower people to engage actively in the political process and to work for a nuclear-free and peaceful future.
* Co-operate with other groups in the UK and internationally to ensure the development of greater mutual security
* As a British campaign, we concentrate first and foremost on British nuclear weapons but we also work with anti-nuclear groups in other countries to eliminate the global threat. CND is also present at the United Nations and other international disarmament conferences.