SU Advice

During your time studying you may require academic and personal support.

Find out what support you can access through the SU Advice Caseworker below.


Academic Appeals

What are Academic Appeals: An academic appeal is a request to appeal an academic decision made by the University. This includes decisions relation to assignment marks, module and degree results.


Why use the Appeals Process: You can use the Appeals process to challenge decisions made by the school.


More information on Appeals on the SOAS website:


Who You Can Contact:

  • For further information on the appeals process please contact the appeals team via
  • For advice on drafting and applying for and academic appeal please contact the SU Advice Caseworker

Complaints Against SOAS or SOAS SU

What are Complaints at SOAS: A complaint is an expression or statement that something has been experienced as unsatisfactory or unacceptable.


Why use the Complaints process at SOAS: You can use this process to make a complaint against services provided by the school or the SU in order to have you voice heard but also to seek for various forms of compensation.


More Information on Complaints on the SOAS Website:


More Information on Complaints on the SU Website: See under 'Policies' for SU Complaints Policy


Who You Can Contact:

Mitigating Circumstances

What are Mitigating Circumstances: Mitigating circumstances (MCs) are any unforeseen circumstances that are beyond your control and significantly disrupt your academic performance in assessments.


Why use MCs: The Mitigating circumstances process can be used if your academic studies have been adversely affected by unforeseen circumstances.


More Information on MCs on SOAS Website:


Who You Can Contact:

Plagiarism Hearings

What are Plagiarism Hearings: Students are invited to attend plagiarism hearings if the schoolaccuses students of presenting another persons thoughts and words as their own in assessments.


Why use the Plagiarism Hearing: Should you be suspected of plagiarism the school will invite you to attend a Panel where you will be asked questions in order to understand the circumstances. You will also have a chance to present your views to the panel.


More information on Plagiarism on the SOAS Website:


Who You Can Contact:

SGBV Support and Reporting Options (Enough is Enough Campaign)

Enough is Enough is a campaign tackling sexual and gender-based violence. In a 2014 Union General Meeting students voted for a motion to support the National Union of Students campaign ‘I heart consent’ which the SOAS Student Union team then developed into the ‘Enough is Enough’ campaign. In 2015/16 SOAS agreed to £65k funding for the SU to deliver mandatory consent workshops for all SOAS students for 5 years. In 2021 SOAS agreed to fund the project again, to expand the work and support the implementation of SOAS' newly launched SGBV Policy. We continue to provide consent workshops for all incoming students, run a welfare contact program which trains people to be active bystanders and aim to create a consent culture on campus and beyond


This page includes resources for how to access support, reporting options and more information about the campaign’s objectives.



Here are your options:


In the SU:

Contact Advice Caseworker, Susanna Momtazuddin for general support and advice

Contact Enough Is Enough Coordinator Titha Ghosh: for signposting to more resources and support


From the University

Contact the Student Advice and Wellbeing Team for practical advice and access to specialist survivor support, located in Paul Webley Wing, Senate House Building.



Here are some options


Report through the SU

We work hard to make SU spaces, events and activities safer spaces however if you experience abuse or harassment within SU spaces and activities you can expect that we will take your report seriously.

You can get support to make a report or to understand the process of reporting from our caseworker Susanna.

You can make a formal report through ourSU Complaints Policy

We listen to and investigate all reports of abuse and harassment. If there are any conflicts of interest we will work with an external investigator. We run a survivor-centred and trauma-informed process and any actions are discussed with the person/people reporting before being implemented.

You can get support to make a report or to understand the process of reporting from our caseworker Susanna.


Report through SOAS

The SU can also provide support if you want to make a report to SOAS or just want to find out more about the process.

SOAS use Report and Support which is a tool that makes reporting and finding support for any abuse or harassment easier


We never push anyone to make a report and are survivor-led in all circumstances. We can answer your questions and help you decide what you want to do, and put you in contact with people who can give you more specialist support or advice


What we are doing as your Students' Union

As well as the Consent Culture workshops the Enough is Enough campaign also works on: 

  • Raising awareness of SGBV on campus & educating students about consent 

  • Making the reporting systems and support available at SOAS accessible to those who need them? 

  • Understanding the structures that uphold a ‘rape culture’ and how this perpetuates SGBV on campus 

  • Giving students the tools to create a ‘consent culture’ on campus and in their lives off campus? 


How we do this

The key piece of work carried out through the Enough is Enough campaign are workshops delivered during the Welcome period for all incoming SOAS students. These are peer-led sessions, with students trained as workshop facilitators, and involved in coordinating the programme delivery. The workshops aim to educate SOAS students on SGBV to develop a consent culture at SOAS with an understanding across all students of acceptable behaviour, of the procedures for reporting and sources of support. The workshops are designed to look at SGBV from an intersectional, survivor-centred perspective. Alongside this programme the SU also works with specialist survivor-led organisation Not The Only One to deliver survivor-specific workshops and on-going group support, so that survivors have a safe and appropriate place to discuss their experience of consent and their support needs. This includes specialist survivor workshops tailored for/to women, LGBTQIA+ students and students of colour. 


Want to Get Involved or Ask Questions?



Financial Advice

Student Advice and Wellbeing Money Advice: 


SOAS Career Service:  


Hardship Fund 

SOAS Emergency Support Fund

If you are struggling financially or facing hardship as a result of the current situation related to Covid-19 you may be able to access short-term financial support (which you do not have to pay back) from the SOAS Emergency Support Fund. Applications can be submitted online, and there is an expectation that students supply all the required information for assessment.


For more information and how to apply: 


External Support: 

Turn2us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.


We all know how difficult it can be to find decent, affordable accommodation in London. As your Student Union we want to provide as much support as possible to help you settle into London and SOAS life, and to know your rights as a tenant. 


Immediate Support:

Reach out to: 

Co-President for Welfare and Campaigns or SU Accommodations Officer


SOAS Support: 

SOAS Housing Advisor: 020 78984907


University of London Housing Service

The University of London Housing services provide housing services to University of London, including SOAS, students. They provide advice and support with finding accommodation, advertising accommodation, and legal advice. 


External Support: 

London Renters Union

The London Renters Union has been set up by a coalition of housing groups and social justice groups including Radical Housing Network, Take Back The City, Generation Rent, Digs (Hackney Renters), Rent Strike and People’s Empowerment Alliance for Custom House (PEACH). Our advisory network includes the New Economics Foundation, Advice4Renters, and the Migrants Rights Network. 



Leading UK housing charity which can provide legal advice. 



Stuff your landlord doesn't want you to know! 


Immigration & International Students

The SOAS website has information about the immigration rules that international students need to follow:


Student Advice and Wellbeing Immigration and Visa Advice: 


Immediate Support: 

Co-President for Campaigns and Welfare or SU Advice Caseworker


UKCISA: The UK Council for International Student Affairs 

UKCISA provides specialist information and advice for international students on fees and funding, immigration, working in the UK during and after your studies, EEA & Swiss student issues and other related matters. Their website has detailed and up-to-date downloadable guidance notes on immigration matters, tuition fee status, working during and after your studies, and other matters.

The Student Advice Line is open Monday - Friday between 1300 - 1600 (UK time) on +44 (0) 20 7107 9922


Unis Resist Border Controls (URBC)

Unis Resist Border Controls started in 2016 and is a grassroots national campaign composed of migrant students, university staff and activists against border controls and the hostile environment policy within UK higher education. 

URBC provides the following support to migrant students and university staff: 

  1. Casework support to migrant staff and students dealing with immigration, work, or academic problems. 
  2. Workshops and educational outreach on ending border controls and the hostile environment policy both within and outside of UK higher education. 
  3. Research on how hostile environment policy and border controls function within UK higher education. 
  4. Direct action with other border abolition & free education groups. 

Read more URBC’s work here

Casework hours for the 2021 autumn term will be on Mondays or Thursdays by appointment.

To make an appointment to speak to our casework team, contact URBC at: 


Follow URBC on Twitter and Facebook.


Globally MindEd Toolkit

Coming to study, international students often face different ways of learning and a new culture with different expectations and different ways of doing things; and that's in addition to the normal issues and adjusting students face in starting at university.


The Globally MindEd Toolkit  is a resource which shows what higher education is doing to support international students.


Discover the various opportunities available, including international mentoring schemes, specialist counselling and mental health advice, health promotion and literature relevant to international students needs and experiences

Sexual Health


Decolonising Contraception 

A community based organisation created by black & people of colour (BPOC)* working within Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH).



cliniQ is a Community Interest Company. Who offer a holistic sexual health, mental health and wellbeing service for all trans people, partners and friends. We are a trans-led team, who offer a safe, confidential space for those who may not feel comfortable accessing mainstream services.


Sexual Health Testing:

Order a Free STI Testing Kit: 

  • Mortimer Market Centre is just around the corner from SOAS. They provide emergency contraception, free rapid walk-in HIV testing, and STI testing by appointment. They can also provide advice and information on sexual health and support for survivors of sexual assault
  • Margaret Pyke Centre is also a short walk from SOAS. They provide contraception (including long-acting reversible contraception), pregnancy testing, referral for abortion and advice on gynaecological issues.
  • Gower Street Practice is the closest practice to SOAS, and can refer you to other services around the area.
  • 56 Dean Street in Soho is a clinic targeted towards all LGBTQ+ people.
  • 56 T is a clinic running every Wednesday in Soho for trans and non-binary people which offers sexual health screenings, blood tests and other services.

Student Protection Plan

A Student Protection Plan sets out what students can expect to happen should a course, campus, or institution close. The purpose of a plan is to ensure that students can continue and complete their studies, or can be compensated if this is not possible. It is a legal requirement that must be approved by the Office for Students, the regulatory body for universities.

You can find SOAS’ Student Protection Plan here:

This plan was created in consultation with students as part of the Transformation & Change project, conducted during summer 2020. For more information on the consultation process, please contact the Welfare & Campaigns Co-President.

Student Workers

Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) 

The IWW is a revolutionary global union, fighting for better conditions today and economic democracy tomorrow. By training our members in powerful organising methods, direct-action and direct-democracy, we put power in the hands of workers. Open to 'ALL workers who do not have the power to hire or fire. This also includes workers who are retired, students, unemployed, part-time, temporary or those working at home. Workers who are members of other unions are also welcome.'


International Workers of Great Britain (IWGB)

The Independent Workers’ union of Great Britain is a grassroots member-led union fighting for justice for workers. Open to couriers (Deliveroo), foster carers, University of London workers, cleaners, receptionists, security guards. 


University and College Union (UCU) 

Open to academics, lecturers, trainers, instructors, researchers, administrators, computer staff, librarians and postgraduates in universities, colleges, adult education and training organisations across the UK. If you're working for SOAS as postgraduate teaching assistant (fractional), you can join UCU as well as being a member of the Students' Union.




UNISON is the UK’s largest union, serving more than 1.3 million members. We represent full-time and part-time staff who provide public services, although they may be employed in both the public and private sectors.Open to people working part-time and full-time in public services, both private and public sector.



SOAS services: 


Supporting Student Carers & Parents

SOAS Students' Union has part-time officers who focus on providing support and representation for carers and parents. For more information on support available, please contact:



SOAS counselling services:


External counselling: 


Registering with a Doctor:

It is important that you register with a National Health Service (NHS) General Practitioner (GP) as soon as possible on arrival in London. Otherwise you may experience difficulty in obtaining medical help when needed.


Practices near SOAS:

Or find your local GP through the NHS website 



This webpage was last updated on: 17 Jan 2023 15:46