Student workers



Trade Union Council (TUC):

A federation of UK based trade unions, the TUC has 52 affiliated unions.  If there isn't already a union present where you work, check out their online union finderto find one local and suitable to you. 


Industrial Workers of the World (IWW):


Open to 'ALL workers who do not have the power to hire or fire. This also includes workers who are retired, students, unemployed, part-time, temporary or those working at home. Workers who are members of other unions are also welcome.'



Bakers Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU):


Open to 'workers in the food sector, from production at factory through to sales at shops.'

Contact: Tel: 0208 801 0980; email:


International Workers of Great Britain (IWGB):


Open to couriers (Deliveroo), foster carers, University of London workers, electrical workers, cleaners, receptionists and securtiy guards.

Contact: Tel: 020 3490 7530. email:

University and College Union (UCU):

Membership:  Open to ''Academics, lecturers, trainers, instructors, researchers, administrators, computer staff, librarians and postgraduates in universities, colleges, prisons, adult education and training organisations across the UK.''

If you're working for SOAS as postgraduate teaching assistant (fractional), you can join UCU as well as being a member of the Students' Union.




Membership: Open to 'people working par-time and full-time in public services, both private and public sector.'

Contact: Tel: 0800 0857 857; email:



Membership:  A general union, open to people working part-time and full-time in both private and public sectors. 

Contact: Tel: 0203 371 2046


Useful Zines

A GRRRL Guide to Smashing Sexism at Work 

- Solfed, 'Stuff your Boss doesn't want you to know'

This webpage was last updated on: 14 Aug 2018 12:36