Unfortunately the government makes international students jump through a number of hoops in order to study in the UK. We want to support international students as much as possible in overcoming these obstacles. 

The SOAS website has information about the immigration rules that international students need to follow:

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or want advice or support. Contact or


UKCISA: The UK Council for International Student Affairs

UKCISA provides specialist information and advice for international students on fees and funding, immigration, working in the UK during and after your studies, EEA & Swiss student issues and other related matters.

Their website has detailed and up-to-date downloadable guidance notes on immigration matters, tuition fee status, working during and after your studies, and other matters.

The Student Advice Line is open Monday - Friday between 1300 - 1600 (UK time) on +44 (0) 20 7107 9922

For further information,  visit


Queen Mary University Free Legal Advice Service



International Students House

229, Great Portland Street, Regent’s Park London W1W 5PN

Tel: 020 7631 8300 or visit the website at

SOAS has arranged for all students (international and home) at SOAS have free membership of International Students House. This membership includes access to events such as cultural evenings, cinema, club nights, lectures, fitness classes and sports. There is a travel club which offers reduced rate trips throughout the UK and Europe: from day trips to week-long activity holidays. ISH’s Christmas programme offers discounted accommodation and a festive programme of events, including Christmas Day.
ISH also has long-term accommodation for 600 students and short stay accommodation for visiting family or friends.

ISH is FREE– it’s yours – and it’s 15 minutes walk from SOAS.

Make the most of it!


HOST Visits

HOST enables you to visit and be a guest of a family anywhere in the UK. You can see another part of Britain, meet local people and experience the British way of life for a few days. You can visit for one to three days at weekends all year round, at Christmas, New Year and other festivals. You pay only for your travel costs. SOAS is a member of the HOST organisation, so all international students can participate in the scheme free of charge.

To get more information, and to apply on-line, visit the HOST website on





This webpage was last updated on: 09 Sep 2015 17:10