The JCR is a perfect space for musical performances, movie screenings, panel talks, poetry/spoken work nights, and more. We encourage all student societies to run at least one event in the JCR per year!
The Russell Room is ideal for committee meetings, small group discussions, creative events such as craft events or small games nights. The maximum capacity for the Russell Room is 30 people.
The Russell Room and JCR (Junior Common Room) are Students’ Union spaces and cannot be booked using the above system.
To book these two spaces please follow the below procedure:
On your SOAS student Outlook Calendar:
- In the top left-hand corner of the calendar, there is a button labeled either ‘New Appointment’ (on the desktop version) or ‘New Event’ (on the online version). Click this.
- Add in all the details of the event, including:
- Title of event, which should include the society name
- Date of event
- Start and finish time
- Short description of event, including information on if you are bringing in external speakers
- If you are bringing in external speakers, please fill in the Risk Assessment for Events Involving Speakers form and attach to the calendar invite.
- Once you have added all the above info in, click invite attendees
- To book the Russell Room, add RussellRoom@soas.ac.uk
- To book the JCR, add firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also add other committee members if you would like the event to appear in their calendars also.
- If the space is free at the time, you have requested the booking, you will receive a meeting acceptance email from the relevant email address.
- If the space is not free at the time you have requested the booking, you will receive an email in return offering an alternative date or time.
If you have any questions, please email either of the two email addresses listed above.
Update 27/03/2023: The Russell Room is currently being used for temporary storage, please request a university room via the room booking form.