Halls of Residence

See the government guidance published 21st March. Key points covered: students with symptoms in Halls of residence; those without symptoms living in close setting; those in halls with no alternative place to live, including private halls.

We are currently organising a RENT STRIKE for those students living in student halls, to protect their rights as students during this period of time. You can read and sign the open letter and strike pledge here. Please circulate as widely as possible!

If you have moved out of your accommodation hall or are thinking about doing so due to the current coronavirus context, please read the advice provided by the SOAS SU here. The most important thing is that you make your decisions based on your needs rather than financial obligations. Please follow the advice in order to ensure you leave and cancel your contract in the safest way possible. The SOAS SU will try to negotiate with SOAS and the provider a suspension/refund of Term 3 rent. Some providers, such as University of London halls (ie Intercollegiate Hall), Student Homes or Unite have already agreed to this. Make sure you sign the rent strike pledge mentioned above.

If you have not moved out of your accommodation hall, whether because you are planning on coming back or you have left some stuff behind, please read the advice provided by SOAS SU here. The SOAS SU is organising a rent strike to defend your rights as well. Make sure you sign the rent strike pledge mentioned above.


Two updates on halls, 1st April:

  • Those staying in IQ Student Accommodation, if you are leaving and want to cancel your contract for the summer term you can do so, but there is a deadline of 5pm 9th April to let them know. See their notice on their website here
  • Those in Sanctuary Housing, they have put up a notice, but so far are not accepting early cancellation, which is why there is a strike planned (see above).


Private renting

There are many students renting privately, so if you are concerned about part time work drying up and the impact on covering rent, there are some places to start finding out about your rights and what support is available.

For housing advice as a SOAS / University of London student start with:

We also encourage you to become a member of the London Renters Union, who usually organise collective actions to protect and improve renters rights in London during these difficult times.

NOTE: The government announced on the 18th March a ‘complete ban on evictions and additional protection for renters’ for 3 months.  Check carefully for how this applies and for updates, and seek advice on your rights if you are unsure. 


General Housing

Shelter have set up a regularly updated advice page answering key questions. They are a national housing charity who offer a webchat with housing advisors, run an emergency helpline (0808-8004444), give free advice and support. Use in conjunction with the UofL site (see above), which deals with specifics for students.

This webpage was last updated on: 02 Apr 2020 12:41