If you need to return a library book, the SU will be running a drop off service on strike days by the Main Building. Look out for the box on the SU SOLIDARI-TEA stall.
You can suggest more of your alternative spaces on our padlet here: https://padlet.com/vr81/SOASstrikes2020
Alternative study spaces:
- Senate House Library (through Eastern Entrance)
- As a UoL student you can become a member for free! Free laptop loan service available! Senate House is currently under a Boycott as called by their outsourced workers (represented by the IWGB union). However, we have checked, and use of the library for studying is not included in the boycott!
- Wellcome Library inside the Wellcome Collection museum (walking north from SOAS, facing Euston road). Recommended!
- LSE Library (since staff are not striking). To make use of it as a SOAS student, fill in this form, easy peasy: https://www.lse.ac.uk/.../usin.../secure/join-the-library...
- Anthropology Library & Research Centre inside the British Museum! Can get a bit busy though.
- Holborn Public Library ;) always there for you! Very close to SOAS, just in Theobalds Road.
- Of course, the British Library, the largest library in the world (by number of items catalogued), so close to us.
- The SOAS Library outside picket hours
- National Art Library - in the Victoria & Albert Museum. As a major public reference library it’s free to join (bring ID!)
- The BFI Reuben Library - great for quiet study! The library collection spans the history of cinema
- Barbican Library - a vibrant public library with resources available for loan to all visitors.
Of course, your local library is a great shout as well. They usually have both quite and common spaces, as well as access to computers and wifi. You can find your closest library by entering your postcode here: https://www.gov.uk/local-library-services
Alternative spaces for group studying:
- Senate House Library - it has non-quiet spaces that could be used
- Waterstones, both on Tottenham Court Road and Gower Street, have spaces for collective studying both in their café and on some of their floors
- Paperchase on Tottenham Court Road
- Foyles (between Tottenham Court Road and Leicester Square stations)
- Cafés and coffee shops around SOAS or your local area
Alternative faith spaces:
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Multi-Faith Room, Room 141a, WC1E 7HT
- Holborn Mosque, EC1N 7RR (they have confirmed they'll have space for SOAS students)
- Quiet Contemplation Room Multi-faith Prayer Area, Bloomsbury, London WC1H 0AR
- Friends House, NW1 2BJ
You can also check the following links to Google Maps indications to:
Mosques close to SOAS
Churches close to SOAS
This webpage was last updated on: 19 Feb 2020 16:47